Wondering what to plant alongside your pool to create an oasis, offer shade and complete the landscaped vista that will be your escape? Here are a few suggestions that will withstand the pool water and offer a practical solution with minimal fallout from leaves and debris.
- Palm trees
- Mauritius Hemp
- Hibiscus (evergreen varieties won’t drop as many leaves)
When selecting what to plant around your pool consider the goals you have for the area.
- Do you need to screen out neighbours?
- Is there enough space for new plants to grow and spread in the area you are giving them?
- Do you want added shade?
- Are there views you’d like to maintain and reduce blocking out with plants?
- What sort of colours would you like to include? While flowers are notorious for dropping off and causing added maintenance, many plants offer coloured foliage and can offer a good alternative.
- Tiered gardens can often give you more freedom on what to plant with the ability to offer a greater distance for more temperamental and high-shedding plants to create a backdrop rather than being front and centre.
Working out a rough landscaping plan at the same time you plan your pool can give you more choices once it’s built.